Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Hacking a Canon off-shoe flash cord part 5 (final)

This is an initial shot taken by my 20D at F8.0 (the lowest my lens will focus at right now :) ) - in manual mode with the shutter speed at 1/100s. The flash is held at point-blank range so any E-TTL mishaps should be disastrous. Seems like it worked, though! - This is of course my trusty fujifilm F30 camera that most of the photos are from on this blog...


Here is one taken at 1/1000 sec - I am using the high sync speed feature of this flash to achieve this. Aperture still at F8.0. This would certainly not work without E-TTL functioning!


But if there were any questions left, here's one taken at 1/8000 - my max shutter speed. Its interesting to see how the ambient light has totally dropped out in these last two photos :) and the subtle difference between the two as well.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Giuliano said...

Thank You,
very good idea...
But how much is the maximum ethernet cord long to work?
I'm was looking for hacking the Canon Speedlite flash system...
Have you got some ideas?
See You

Jon.B said...

I haven't tried a really long cord. So far the longest I have needed is about 20'. What I use this for is to get my master (or single) flash off camera so I can use it with an umbrella or softbox etc. I can't afford to buy the Canon IR controller so far! When I do I may also splurge for some radiopoppers...

I know that the type/quality of ethernet cable will make a big difference too. CAT6 cable is the best insofar as shielding one signal pair from another. (But my 20' patch cord is CAT5e which is also pretty good) You could pick up a length from a network installer free I would guess as they often have odd boxes left over. Then you'd need to crimp on RJ-45 ends. Or just buy a patch cord outright because it will be a lot more flexible than making your own.